Monday, November 1, 2010

Old and New

It seems that the older I get, the more I seem to be clinging to childhood. I'm turning 16 years-old this January. (How messed up is THAT?!?) I'm deep in the Murky Waters of Denial.

My friend Lara says she'll plan me a birthday party when this awful day approaches. I asked her to make it Blues Clues-themed. (Solid proof of how I refuse to grow up, as if you needed any.)

Because of my dislike of aging, playing 'the mother' in BCPE has proven to be a difficult thing to do for me. You want me to act old?!? Isn't it bad enough that I'm getting closer to my deathbed by the minute, now you want me to act like it too? So whenever I'm offstage, I act horribly childish to make up for it.

But I don't think all of this is an aversion to responsibility, new things or even death. It's just giving up the old things that used to make life so fun. You know, like drawing on my sister's legs at 3 in the morning. Or staying after church for hours and not minding it a bit. Or most of my old friends. I've already given these up, and I'm scared to lose anything else...

But these things have been replaced. By new friends, new traditions, new ideas, new projects and new opportunities. And I love it all. It's not like my life is totally empty now. (though sometimes it feels that way)

I can't have everything I want. And things are going to change, for better or worse. I just need to let go, and embrace the future...


...Yeah, right. Easier said than done.

11 comments:

  1. Yeah Nina I totally understand. My next birthday is the big 18. SCARY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauvre Nina. :)

    While it is sad to leave all the parts of childhood behind, it is totally made up for by the parts of adulthood you get a glimpse of! I promise you won't hate it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you'll love it. I can't wait to turn 18 and leave for college!!
    And I'm NEW. Do you hate me or regret being my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh we are all so OLD! I'm going to be 15 next year, you're going to be 16, Sarah is going to be 17, Ambry is going to be 18............WHEN WILL IT END?!

    Nina, I say you should invent a time michine and we will all go back in time and enjoy our childhood one last time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly hope I won't hate it! There are definitely perks to getting older. I just wish I could have EVERYTHING all piled up into one glorious mountain. But sadly, this won't be happening.

    I LOVE YOU, LARA!!!!!! I'LL NEVER REGRET/HATE YOU!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I KNOW, MEGAN!!!!!! I remember when you were a teeny little beehive...Awww...

    Yes, I'll get right on that. But don't you already have a time-turner?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nina I can't use a Time Turner willy nilly! It's elligal in the Wizarding comuinity, remember?

    Ah, yes, it was good times back in the day. I don't like getting older. Well I take that back. I like getting older it's just sad to see everyone grow up, because then you mature a little more and meet new friends, and then all of a sudden, you're all alone. That's going to be sad. (Wow that was depressing)

    Let's not mature, 'cause that's not fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan, you just described my entire life right there. And yes, it IS depressing. :P

    I will NEVER MATURE!! Where's the fun in that, anyway? (this is why I have trouble playing a mom. It's just no fun to act that way)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you can sneak me your time-turner, Megan, I will definitely find some excellent uses for it. Just don't let the Minister see. :)
    And I'm glad to hear that, Nina, although it is sometimes a little incongruous with your behavior. ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I behave that way to entertain myself and others. I hope you realize this.

    And good thing the Minister doesn't have internet, otherwise he'd see this comment and be like "OMG, I NEED THAT TIME TURNER BACK ASAP!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is lucky! But if he did, he would have to find me first. I'm not giving up that thing without a fight! Listen you guys if you start experiencing any thing differant in your life in say about two minute I am very, very, sorry. ;)

    ReplyDelete