Monday, May 30, 2011

It's a maze, this garden

Heyyyy do you like free stuff? Course you do! Everyone likes free stuff.

Especially me, which is why I love booksshouldbefree.com. Free audio books, people. It's awesome. But is it illegal? Actually no. They only have books written before copyright laws were made.

But surely there are other problems? Well, of course. Here's a helpful little pros and cons list:

PROS:
-Uh it's free! Hello!
-They have like, everything classic literature. Louisa May Alcott, Charles Dickens, Elizabeth Gaskell, L. Frank Baum, Jane Austen....
-Sometimes the narrator is different every chapter (although some of them are read wholly by one person. It really depends.) This can be a pro or a con; Occasionally, you'll get someone who has an amazing accent, and does everything right.
-It's so easy (at least for me). All I do is open my iTunes library, press iPod download, and it's there, in the podcast section, in two seconds flat. I love how I don't have to do anything. When I'm done, I just delete it.
-I can listen to it while I do chores, or during long car rides. (I can't read in the car, ever)

CONS:
-There aren't any modern books.
-Sometimes the narrator is different every chapter. Though it's not often, you might get someone who reads too fast, or with no emotion. When this does happens, just get through it and take comfort that the chapters are 10-20 minutes long. It'll be over soon, especially if he's reading fast.
-Although they do put a little bit of voice into the characters, no one does anything ridiculous, like people who do professional audio books do.


Yeah, that's pretty much it. But it's FREE.
I don't know about you, but I take what I can get. I finished Alice in Wonderland, which was read by a different person each chapter. I loved it, and almost everyone did a great job.

Now I'm listening to A Little Princess. It's read by only one person, who's doing a very good job so far.

But Nina, I don't like audio books! I'd much rather just read...

I'll have you know that there are plenty of websites that'll let you read classics online for free! Just google it.

But if you don't want to google it, classicreader.com works rather well and seems to have a good selection.

I just wanted to show these to you guys. I love books, and I love free stuff, so these websites make me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment