Friday, January 7, 2011

uh-wee-muh-way



Having Manisha here was a blast. I love her, and it was awesome having her back.

But the only setback to having her was that she stole all my drawing time. I didn't wield a pencil for two whole weeks, because I was too busy talking to her. Then I got really sick, and my weak muscles forgot how to hold a pencil and were really shaky, so I couldn't even practice then.

And now, trying to get back into it has proven similar to jumping into a swimming pool and not remembering how to swim. I know I know how to swim (draw), but I lack inspiration, and feel clumsy kicking my feet around. And I'm not getting as much pleasure out of it as I normally do. It's cold in this water. :(

Above is something I forced myself to churn out today. Needless to say, it looks a billion times better in real life. (I need a scanner. These dumb webcam photos'll be the death of me.)

But I could not, for the life of me, get her mouth right. I think it was because I failed to capture her hunch when I first started. She's sitting too erectly, and if I tried to draw the mouth at an angle while the rest of her is sitting up, it looked terrible. So I settled on this, which doesn't look too bad, but I feel bad for settling. I'm better than that...

I've decided to use references a lot more with my drawings. My style is sort of a combination of random artists on deviantArt, and I really want to start developing my own style. So I'm going to be using references more, and using what I learn from that in all my other drawings. Hopefully, it'll help me with my poses and variation. (I tend to draw everyone the same way, and need to change this.)

As you can see, I have ways to go in the accuracy department. There are so many little things I accidently changed in my picture. Her hands, they way they're sitting, their eyes, etc.

Yeah, I'm working on it.

5 comments:

  1. That's really cute! I like it.
    You look too far into it, that's your problem. I think you're really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Nina! I remember once that I couldn't walk up the stairs without losing my breathe after a bad cold. So you being able to do something like THAT after a bad cold... you have nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what would be a good style for you to draw? ME! You could just follow me around and capture the essence of my being through the tip of your great-stroking pencil. Hey, it would benifit both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. You are all far too kind!

    And Lara, I know how good I am. But I also know how bad I am. You fail to see the latter.

    Sammy, I'd be HONORED to draw someone as beautiful as you! It'd be really fun to have a real model for once, too. I've only done it two or three times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the jungle, the mighty jungle... I have no idea what this song is called.

    ReplyDelete