Monday, January 10, 2011

Interjections! Show excitement! Or emotion!

I'm so disappointed with today's generation's lack of readership. On Facebook, there's a small section that asks you to list your favorite books. Far too many people put "Who reads books anymore?" in this box, or even leave it blank. OR WORSE, only list Twilight as their favorite book. (HOW DARE THEY!?)

It's so sad... :(

I love to read. Below, I have compiled a list of books you need to read before you read anything else. (even before you read Twilight again...)


1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

This should go without saying, but a sadly large amount of people haven't read it. If you haven't read this book series, you are an abomination to the world and all those who live on it. GO READ IT NOW!!!

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Again, this should go without saying. These books start out a little weak, and progress to literary masterpieces. So if you started the series and thought that The Magician's Nephew could've been better, just endure. The Last Battle is SO GOOD it's worth getting through everything else, just to read that book.

3. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

This book is funny and heartwarming, and has the most swoon-worthy main love interest. If you, like me, loved this book only for Gilbert then skip the second book in the series, Anne of Avonlea, (which hardly mentions Gilbert) and read the third, Anne of the Island. That one is chocked full of romantic goodies, and you won't miss anything. :)

4. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

It's written for a younger crowd, but still very good. Adorable, and the characters are much more endearing than in the movie. They have so many adventures that aren't mentioned in the movie, too. It's a really fun book, very short, and totally worth reading.

5. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

This book is amazing. The Disney version of it stinks. I'm sorry, but once I read this I couldn't see the movie any other way. It's terrible. The book is so whimisical and inspiring. J.M. Barrie's language is amazing. And I HATE movie Wendy, but book Wendy's cool. Read it, it's sooooo much better...

6. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Sweetest little story about a sour girl who meets a sour boy, and their adventure's in hiding their new garden from the boy's sour father. Over time, they all lose their sour-ness. Lots of great character development, and it has the cutest ending. ^_^

7. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

Absolutely hilarious book, where EVERYTHING is a play on words. Starting in the Land of Expectations (which most journeys never get past), we go through the Island of Conclusions (you get there by jumping) and on to many other wonderous places with equally clever names and quirky qualities. This book is nothing short of genius, and needs to be read by everyone.

8. Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements

Invisible boy meets blind girl. You can just smell the budding romance, can't you? ;) But seriously, I love this book. Perhaps it's not as classic as everything else I've listed, but it was one of the first books I read on my own. It made me cry, so I feel it necessary to include in my list.

9. An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott

My friend Kallie says that everything by Louisa May Alcott is amazing, but this is one of her favorites (and one of MY favorites, too!). And in this one, the right people get together, unlike in Little Women. (I'm still very hurt by that book's ending.) An Old-Fashioned Girl has heart-breakingly perfect romantic moments, amazingly truthful quotes, strong morals, and fantastic characters. I recommend it whole-heartedly. :)

10. A Series of Unfortuate Events by Lemony Snicket

I'm aware that many people *coughLARAcough* do not like these books. My advice? Don't listen to these people. They don't know what they're talking about. (sorry, it's true) These books are hysterical. The author has a unique voice that's hard to ignore, and a super-duper complex plot that will leave you scratching your head for nearly all of the series. It makes me laugh on nearly every page, and left me always wanting more. And if you have any extra time, I recommend reading Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography. A book that, if possible, is even more hilarious and head-scratching than the actual novels, though 10000x more confusing.

11. Percy Jackson and the Olympians and The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

If you didn't already know about my obsession with this book series, then you didn't know me. I already put too much about these books on my blog, so at this point, just go read it. That's all I'm gonna say. (And please, don't mention the movie. It's an abomination.)

12. Anything by Kate Dicamillo

Including The Tale of Desperoux, The Tiger Rising, The Magician's Elephant, and Because of Winn-Dixie. Asking me to choose my favorite out of these is next to impossible, so just read them all. :) But what I really love about these books are their magical settings. I want to live in each one of them.



I can think of about 20 more, but I think this is a good start. What about you, friends? What novels have you read and loved? Anything you think deserve a mention? Well then comment! :)

6 comments:

  1. The Hunger Games

    It has action that will keep you reading until you are done with the book(s), a love triangle which I loved, and cliff hangers at the end of every chapter! I highly recomend it.

    P.S.
    I loved the Magician's Nephew! It's one of my favorite books in the CoN series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must put in a huge plug for A Tale of Two Cities. That book is amazingly powerful and uplifting with a delightful cast of characters and good people (of whom the world needs many more.) And it has the best ending in the history of book endings.
    Of course I also love anything by Jane Austen. And Jane Eyre. That is another marvelous book that just leaves you feeling blooming, smiling, and pretty when you finish it. :)
    I need to read An Old Fashioned Girl still...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I love you. You are so much cooler than me :(

    - Manisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're ridiculous! We are definitely of equal coolness. (even though I'm prettier)

    I love you! BTW. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. True. You are at least prettier.

    ReplyDelete