Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ease on down, ease on down the road

Hey guys, how was your Easter? Mine was fantastic, thanks. I spent it watching The Wizard of Oz. And after that, I was really inspired and drew the following pictures:

Yes, she is wearing Silver Shoes, and yes, that's on purpose. I knew I'd never be able to draw Judy Garland without a reference, so I just drew Dorothy as I imagined her in the book. Sans ugly prairie bonnet. I refused to give her one of those.

Oh, and through that picture.... I've discovered that I cannot draw a forest for my life.

This is for all those people out there who were convinced I only drew pretty people. LOOK I CAN DRAW UGLY OLD MEN.

But this isn't any ugly old man. This is the Great and Terrible Oz himself, book-version, of course. But I have to admit that the Sisters Grimm series has forever altered my perception of him. :P I'll never be able to think of him the same way...

Something about Wizard of Oz inspires me so much I don't even know what to do. Be it the story, the movie, or the stage adaption, I'm always brimmed full with inspiration afterwards. Maybe it's the colors. Maybe it's the story. Maybe it's the characters. I think it's all three.

But I think I'm not the only one who gets inspired just thinking about it. Why else would there be 22 films, 9 plays/musicals, 6 tv shows and, 5 comic strips based off of it? (thanks wikipedia!)


In other news, FOOLS opens this Friday. Here's a small sneak preview of what to expect when you come see it:


Yup. That's me.... in the fatsuit.

Just trust me, you don't wanna miss this play. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy you can draw ugly, old people Nina. I love those drawings! The Oz picture is AWESWOME!

    P.s. You look amazing in that picture Nina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of the Wizard :) And I love your attempt at a forest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks. I'm glad you both like my ugly old men. :)

    My forest....is bad. I was like "hmm she needs a background... doo dooleedooo, WAIT WHAT HAVE I DONE!?" and then I did like, two hours of damage control on that stupid forest. :P

    ReplyDelete