Monday, November 15, 2010

One Who Understands

Everywhere I look, it seems that gratitude is being forced upon me, from all sides. It's following me everywhere I go. (Though the fact that Thanksgiving is 10 days away might have something to do with it)
And while I make sure I say 'thank you' on a regular basis, it's more out of politeness than anything else. Actually feeling grateful is something else intirely. But while I was listening to my iPod yesterday, this song about the Atonement started playing and I felt more grateful than I had in a long time;

“Greater love hath no man than this
That he lay down his life for his friends”
The way that He holds my broken heart together with His hands
I hope I was right there for Him the way that He’s right here for me
With every step that I take and every breath I breathe

It’s so much more than the wounds in His hands
More than the hole in His side
More than the blood that spilled down beneath olive trees that night

Savior, the world was on your shoulders
For every drop of pain that fell in my name
I’m forever thankful

When I think no one could know
I remember one who understands

How amazing is that? I often have difficulty imagining the Atonement. It just seems unrealistic, at first. I mean, how was it even possible to feel EVERYTHING that everyone has ever felt? And why would that make you bleed at every pore? Why would you even do that?

But then, when you have faith that he did do that for you, and you understand the love that he felt for you and me, and how incredibly great a service that was to us, then the doubts leave and the thankfulness settles in and you wonder how anyone could ever go on not knowing this.
I felt a closeness in my heart yesterday for what he did, and as it said in the song, "for every drop of pain that fell in my name, I'm forever thankful."

And though you should be grateful for the obvious things, like family, eletricity and food, this Thanksgiving let's not forget the Savior and His sacrifice for us. And let's praise Him together as we prepare to celebrate His birth.

That's all I have to say. ^_^

6 comments:

  1. That was beautiful Nina! And I couldn't agree with you more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina, you're so awesome! Did this really come out of the heart and mind of a teenage girl?... so extraordinary.

    ps. I love your dad's accent too. It reminds me of when I was growing up with my fantastic group of multicultural friends. (Korean, German, Puerto Rican, Samoan, British, Chinese, Egyptian, Filipino, etc...)Never a dull moment and really great food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sister Fitz! You're really awesome, too. I'm so happy you're my YW president. :)

    Hehe, that's awesome. How did you have so many multicutural friends? Did you move a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Nina. I've had an AWFUL day today and you really just put everything into perspective for me.
    I know that no matter how horrible my life seems to be, He has gone through it too, and He's standing right at my side, helping me through it.
    I don't know how I would get through days like this if not for the knowledge that He loves me enough to have done that for me. Thank you so much for this beautiful reminder of all that my Savior has done for me. :)
    You're an amazing friend and I'm thankful for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you're welcome, lara! I'm so happy I could've done that for you. I love you, and you're an amazing friend as well. :)

    ReplyDelete