Thursday, December 16, 2010

Maybe you were the moon, and I was just the dark

I wonder if the universe knows that Christmas is nine days away, because my presents have all come early this year...

So anyways, I was traipsing my house the other day and saw a red box mysteriously perched at the bottom of one of our thousands of bookshelves. I pick it up, and it's a box of oil paints! Huzzah! I never tried painting with oil paints before...

A good find, but my next find was 20 times more exciting:


Huh... It's a cushioned-leather book-thing that says Prismacolor on the front! I was certain it had been there for months. I had no idea what it could be, so I opened it up. Guess what's on the inside?

That, my friends, is a set of expensive, wonderful, magical, colored-pencils. That are magical. Did I mention that already? And it comes with a sketchbook and it's own pencil sharpener.

I almost shed a few tears when I found it, dusty on my shelf and completely unused. Not a single pencil had been sharpened. It was so beautiful. ^_^

I set to work immediately trying them out:


Marvel at the smoothness, people! Gorgeous hues of blue and purple, amatuerly blended together! Yes, I know it's in want of a proper background. And stars. But stars are practically impossible to draw (for me) so I'll just say that these two live in a very polluted area. :)

Don't you love finding awesome things you never knew you had?

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I do love it when that happens!

    Merry Chirstmas Nina!

    PS
    I like the drawing, it's very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those by any chance Christmas presents you were supposed to receive and just happened to find early? Because this kind of good fortune never smiles upon me unless I've accidentally discovered my Christmas presents before their time.
    So what ARE you going to get for Christmas then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no Lara! This has been there for months! And my mom said that she wasn't going to get us anything this year and she'd just give us cash. My mom hates Christmas shopping, and wanted to be less stressed out this year...

    I'm positive that this is one of those random objects that hides in the corner of the room until you discover it. Truly, it is.

    Thanks Megan! I'm glad you like it, even though you hate love-dovey stuff... ;) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina, I swear you stole that image from my mind! In my story that I am writing, I have that exact mental image while I'm writing...hmmm. Is this foreshadowing that I shall be an author, and you an illustrator? ^_^ And good luck! Oil paints are hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. This song is "I must have loved you before" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SARAH!!! We should totally team up! Together, we SHALL DOMINATE THE EARTH!

    That was a total Azula quote. And you are correct! Isn't that song amazing?

    Oil paint can't be worse than watercolor. I HATE WATERCOLORS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nina, that is so exciting!!! You are blessed with a great talent. I hope you never let that talent go to wast, I know you wont:) I love you. Have a Wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the picture Nina! This scene apparently from Sarah's book was very beautifully depicted. =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww thanks Kallie! I love you!!! Merry Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete