Wednesday, January 19, 2011

There Ain't No Fightin' Fate!


I went to a Tom Sawyer reunion last weekend. I had a lot of fun with the people who really do still feel like family to me, even though it's been a while since we saw each other. We're all so different in age, interests, personalities, appearance, goals, thoughts... but somehow we come together and make a family.

When I first told my mom that we were having this reunion, her reaction was something along the lines of "Nina. It's been like, a year since that show ended. Can't you let it go?" (And then I told my friend, and her reaction was EXACTLY the same... Funny. :D)

And while we were watching the DVD of our performance, it seemed as though everyone had forgotten the lyrics to all the songs... except for me. (but then again, I was the only one who forgot ALL the choreography...) They all kept looking at me in amazement, asking "how do you still know this?! It's been like, a year!"

But I just can't let it go. I can't forget. Even though it's been a year, even though I've been in another show since then. And I've been wondering about that. Why can't I let it go? Why do I still know all the songs? Why is it that I won't let myself forget all the things we talked and joked about, all the things we did?

Why?

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Tom Sawyer changed my life. No, it didn't just change my life, it changed me. I'm a different person now. I'm more mature, I think. I handle pressure better. I'm sure as heck more confident about my singing and dancing. I'm more loving, more accepting. I'm a much better friend, and a better daughter. I'm less afraid.

And like I said before, my cast is my family. We stick by each other and love each other. We laugh so hard with each other, but we can cry with each other, too. We hug and we tease. We complain, in strictest confidence, about things that bother us. We teach each other things. We encourage each other, and want each other to do the best they can. We help each other, because we love each other.

And if that doesn't sound like a family, I don't know what does!

After thinking about WHY a little bit more, I remembered something that our director, Michael, told us almost "a year" ago that I still remember. I don't remember it exactly, but it was something like this, and it made all of my TS family cry;

"You guys have made this the most special experience, not only for me, but for each other. You've grown so close as a cast, and now we're a family. You don't realize how special these friendships are. But hold onto them. Never let them go. Because these relationships? They're something that will stay with you. Never let go, friends..."

And now I know why I can't let go:

I'm just doing what my director told me. :)

4 comments:

  1. My comment was not that you should let it go, it was more that you had been meaning to have a reunion for about the past 8 months and it STILL hadn't happened yet. No need to paint me as the bad guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't painting you as the bad guy! And if I was, it was completely accidental. Your comment made me think, and I was glad you said it. :)

    I know! But we finally did have one, and now are planning another one. Yeah, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would it make you feel better if I made you anonymous? I will, and you can tell me if that's better...

    ReplyDelete